No subject in cruising causes more conversation (ok, disagreement) than tipping.
Gone are the days where you were expected to give a tip to the crew members if they went above and beyond. These days the cruise lines have made tipping expected, laying out daily gratuity amounts that are charged to each passenger’s account and then distributed among the crew. Meanwhile, the crew members have come to rely on these tips as a major portion of their compensation.
Like it or not, gratuities are here to stay. Yes, you can adjust the amount higher or lower but at a minimum passengers are expected to pay the amounts laid out by the cruise lines.
To help you prepare your budget, we’ve rounded up the details on daily gratuity amounts for the major cruise lines. These are the amounts your account will be charged at the end of the cruise unless you specify otherwise.
Gratuity Amounts By Cruise Line
- Carnival: $13.99 per person, per day. $15.99 per person, per day for guests in suites. Guests under 2 years old don’t pay gratuity.
- Celebrity: $14.50 per person, per day. $15.00 per person, per day for those in Concierge Class and AquaClass cabins. $18.00 per person, per day for suites.
- Disney: $36 per person for 3-day cruise. $48 per person for 4-day cruise. $84 per person for 7-day cruise. ($12 per person, per day)
- Holland America: $14.50 per person, per day. $16.00 per person, per day for guests in suites.
- Norwegian: $15.00 per person, per day. $18.00 per person, per day staying in suites. $20.50 per person, per day for guests sailing on Norwegian Sky and Sun. $23.50 per person, per day staying in suites on Norwegian Sky and Sun. Guests under 3 years old don’t pay service charges.
- MSC Cruises: $12.50 per person, per day. Guests under 2 years old don’t pay gratuity. Guests over 2 years old and under 12 years old pay $6.25 per day.
- Princess: $13.50 per person, per day. $14.50 per person, per day staying in mini-suites. $15.50 per person, per day for guests in suites.
- Royal Caribbean: $14.50 per person, per day. $17.50 per person, per day for guests in suites.
Remember that tip amounts are shown on a per person, per day basis. That can make it difficult to tell exactly how much you pay during your cruise. In addition, some cruise lines charge tips for kids while others do not. All of that adds up to a difficult calculation.
To make things easier to estimate, we’ve put together the following calculator to make it easier to get an idea of what you’ll pay. Simply enter the details of your trip below to see how much you’ll pay in gratuities.
More Questions About Gratuities?
If you have more questions about tipping on a cruise, don’t worry. We’ve created an entire guide to cruise gratuities with tons of answers to the most common questions. You can click here to read more now.