Carnival has announced that it will spend nearly $200 million to completely makeover one of its older ships — Carnival Triumph. In addition, the cruise line has also said it will rename the ship Carnival Sunrise following the renovation.
On March 1, 2019, the ship will go into dry dock in Spain where the company will complete the nearly two-month process of upgrading the ship. The list of what’s being re-done is exhaustive and will likely make the ship feel like a brand-new liner following the work.
For example, all of the ship’s staterooms will be updated, new cabins will be added, there will be a total of eight new eateries, an expanded spa, and massive upgrades to the activities on the ship’s open-air decks.
Here’s a list of just some of the specific new additions that will be coming to the Carnival Triumph:
- Guy’s Pig & Anchor — A casual open-air BBQ joint that’s part of the partnership with celebrity chef Guy Fieri.
- RedFrog Pub — A rum and beer bar that serves up Carnival’s own ThirstyFrog Red beer.
- Cucina del Capitano — A family style Italian restaurant designed to remind you of an Italian home.
- WaterWorks — A waterpark on the ship complete with a 203-foot AquaTunnel slide, Twister slide, and kiddie area.
- Serenity Adult-Only Retreat — A place for adults to relax without the kids featuring its own whirlpools.
- Camp Ocean — A new version of Camp Ocean for kids from 2-11, in addition to new spaces for older kids as well.
- SportsSquare — A suspended ropes course as well as basketball court, pool tables, mini golf, and jogging track for passengers to enjoy the outdoors.
- Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse — A classic steakhouse for those who want someone outside of the main dining room fare.
It’s no exaggeration to say that the changes listed above are just a portion of what’s coming to the Triumph.
As we mentioned earlier, following the renovation the Carnival Triumph name will be retired. The ship will be renamed the Carnival Sunrise. Once the renovations are completed the ship will sail several trips from Norfolk, Virginia before moving to New York for the summer. In October 2019 Carnival Sunrise will move to Fort Lauderdale.
For more details on the updates to the ship, you can see Carnival’s press release here.